Incorporated in 1905, Ambridge was named after the American Bridge Company, which bought most of the land that belonged to the original Harmony Society settlers. Located just to the south and across the Ohio River from Aliquippa, American Bridge attracted thousands of immigrants to work in the steel mills that were the focal point of the town.
Ambridge became known for bridge building, metal molding, and the tube manufacturing. During World War II, the American Bridge Company fabricated steel that went into crafting Landing Ship Tanks.
MORE TO COME….