The Carrie Furnaces were built in 1881 as part of U.S. Steel’s Homestead Works, a sprawling 400-acre complex that spanned both sides of the Monongahela River. The furnaces produced up to 1,250 tons of steel a day until they were closed in 1978.
While the majority of the site was razed for a shopping center, the 100-foot high furnaces still stand. Now they are an extremely rare example of pre-WWII ironmaking technology. The furnaces were designated as a National Historic Landmark in 2006 and preservation efforts are underway.